Generała Józefa Sowińskiego 5,
Łukasiewicz Research Network - Institute of Non-Ferrous Metals (Ł-IMN) is a leading European research and technology centre of non-ferrous industry.
The scope of provided by Ł-IMN activities includes R&D on new, innovative technologies development, optimization of industrial processes, modernization of production lines, construction of equipment, measuring and analytical services. Institute has about 500 highly-qualified employees and for 60 years has been conducting comprehensive activities in the following areas: ores, other minerals and secondary materials treatment, pyro- and hydrometallurgy, environmental protection, metals processing, material engineering – new materials, chemical power sources, analytical chemistry.
Ł-IMN key activities concern:
- sustainable economy and energy (effective environmentally safe manufacturing technologies, material recovery - technologies for circular economy, materials and products for electrical grids),
- Intelligent mobility (electricity storage, renewable energy sources, high-performance power systems for electromobility, advanced technologies in the automotive industry),
- health (advanced materials for medicine and medical nanotechnologies),
- defence and security (materials for defence - 3D technology application, power supply technology)
Ł-IMN provides innovative and high-tech quality solutions, among others, these include:
- in the field of non-ferrous metals processing: developing technologies in the field of designing chemical composition of new materials based on non-ferrous metals, melting and refining processes, casting, extrusion, rolling, production of drawn products, production of pipes from welded input, additive manufacturing technologies, production of composites,
- in terms of technologies for production of innovative new-generation materials for power electronics, energy, transport and medicine: soft magnetic nanocomposites, amorphous and nanocrystalline materials, technology of brazing alloys production, additive manufacturing and magnetocaloric materials for magnetic cooling,
- research on composite materials and powders: development of functional coatings produced by plasma spraying, production of metallic and composite micro- and nano-powders by chemical methods, by mechanical synthesis and by grinding and recycling of materials using plasma and chemical technologies.
The Institute also has two divisions in Poznan and in Skawina near Krakow. The centre in Poznan carries out research and development work in the field of electrochemical energy storage and electromobility. In Skawina, research is held on advanced technologies of forming Al and Mg alloys plastics.
As broad organisation it is impossible to list all equipment of Ł-IMN. However, on the Ł-IMN website all our fields of expertise and equipment are described; See: http://www.imn.gliwice.pl/index/en (apply links to divisions and departments); list of selected equipment and device is given below:
- equipment for additive manufacturing: 3D printer designed for the production of three-dimensional metal objects in Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing technology, High-temperature Isostatic Press.
- laboratory equipment including: induction vacuum furnaces, electric arc furnace, High-energy planetary mill, X-ray diffractometer, calorimeters, Tektronix oscilloscope measurement bed, dielectric spectrometer and other high quality lab equipment.
- equipment for research on powders and composites: plasma spraying set - Plasma System by Flame Spray Technologies, system for spheroidization and plasma decomposition, device for Spark Plasma Sintering, vertical hydraulic presses, mills and other high quality equipment.
- equipment for battery modelling and prototyping, for electrochemical cell testing in lab conditions, equipment for battery materials characterization,
- battery testers (large and lab. scale), climatic chambers for temperature and pressure tests, mechanical abuse test equipment,
- plastic forming and coatings equipment, casting equipment among others: device - designed for direct measurement of the amount of hydrogen dissolved in liquid aluminium, apparatus for the melt quality measurement.
As broad organisation it is impossible to list all services provided by the Ł-IMN. However, on the Ł-IMN website all our service and expertise activities can be found in more details ; See: http://www.imn.gliwice.pl/index/en (apply links to divisions and department); list of selected services is given below:
- technological and application research, innovation and implementation studies,
- scientific & technological consultancy, expert opinions,
- spectrum of research in advanced material technologies,
- development of technologies for production and manufacturing of innovative new-generation materials (amorphous and nanocrystalline soft magnetic materials),
- services in the production of Cu and Ni-based amorphous brazing alloys, electric contact rivets, spherical powders via gas atomization and the SLM 3D printing optimization processes,
- design, development and prototyping of chemical power sources, design of battery packs and modules according to customer’s needs,
- anodic oxidation – chemical surface treatment of aluminum, magnesium and its alloys,
- casting alloys and ingots for plastic working,
- small-scale production of amorphous and nanocrystalline cores for various applications in power electronics,
- consultancy services in the field of construction of technological devices and technology of amorphous strips casting,
- metallurgical services (casting of alloys with a given chemical composition, casting of amorphous strips),
- production of spherical powders by plasma spraying,
- development and production of metallic and composite micro- and nano-powders,
- production of solid nanocrystalline materials by spark plasma sintering (sps),
- development and production of layered materials obtained by plasma spraying,
- manufacture of materials for silver and tungsten based electrical contacts,
- production of thermoelectric and piezoelectric materials for energy recovery and conversion,
- comprehensive support for business owners and enterprises in the form of direct R&D services, or as joint R&D projects co-funded from public sources.