At MaPS (Manufacturing Processes and Systems) in KU Leuven a wide range of innovative manufacturing processes and systems (see below) are investigated in close collaboration with both local and global industry. State-of-the-art labs, decades of experience with fundamental and applied research, including licensing and spin-off creation, in-depth knowledge of the material-tool interactions and collaborations across different disciplines make KU Leuven the ideal partner for helping your company or your consortium to find solutions to manufacturing related problems requiring a fundamental approach or to bring innovative manufacturing ideas one step closer to the market. The technologies and techniques that are studied are:
- Additive manufacturing (AM, also called 3D Printing): both powder and laser-based AM of polymers, metals and ceramics and nozzle-based AM including Wire Arc AM (WAAM) and welding
- Subtractive and hybrid manufacturing: vibration- or laser-assisted assisted milling, grinding, turing, laser-based surface texturing, electro-discharge machining (EDM), ...
- Micro/nano and precision manufacturing: micro-milling, Micro-EDM, laser micromachining ..
- Flexible sheet metal working: laser cutting, (single point) incremental forming (SPIF), advanced bending..
- Dimensional metrology and quality control: optical and tactile coordinate measuring machines (CMM), roughness analysis, fringe projection, X-ray Computed Tomography, in-process monitoring and control ...
- Life cycle engineering: energy and resource efficient manufacturing, recycling, de-manufacturing
MaPS is also member of Flanders Make, the strategic research center for the manufacturing industry supported by the Flemish Government, the Limburg SALK Fund and EFRO (https://www.flandersmake.be/en).
- State-of-the-art AM lab: commercial and in-house developed AM machines for metals, polymers and ceramics (https://set.kuleuven.be/am/equipment)
- State-of-the-art metrology lab (https://www.mech.kuleuven.be/en/research/mm/services)
- State-of-the-art sheet metal working lab (https://www.mech.kuleuven.be/en/research/flex-sheet-metal-working/equipment)
- State-of-the-art machining lab: milling, turning, EDM and hybrid machines (https://www.mech.kuleuven.be/en/research/Machining/Equipment)
- State-of-the-art micro/nano machining lab with precision machines for EDM, milling and turning and ultra-short pulsed laser micromachining (available by end of June 2021): https://www.mech.kuleuven.be/en/research/mpe/Equipment
MaPS offers European companies collaborations in the framework of ESA, H2020 or Horizon Europe and small service agreements or bilateral research collaborations in its field of expertise (see above).
More details on specific services can be found here:
- For manufacturing metrology:https://www.mech.kuleuven.be/en/research/mm/services (a climatised metrology lab (https://www.flandersmake.be/en/testing-validation/product-validation/di…) and an X-ray Computed Tomography lab (https://www.flandersmake.be/en/testing-validation/product-validation/x-… )
- For additive manufacturing: https://www.flandersmake.be/en/testing-validation/production-optimisati…
- For welding:https://iiw.kuleuven.be/onderzoek/welding-engineering/consulting-and-se…
For all this: one single point of contact to help you find the right KU Leuven partner(s) for your specific advanced manufacturing questions and needs