via Sommarive 18
38123 povo TN TN
Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) is a private non-profit research foundation, established by the government of the Autonomous Province of Trento (Italy). It employs about 410 researchers, graduates, post-doc students, and visiting professors, and conducts research in several areas, organized in different research centers in both scientific and humanistic topics.
Throughout 50 years of history, FBK has developed a broad network of domestic and international alliances and partnerships, hosting and attending international congresses and conferences, publishing thousands of papers, dozens of patents and innovative ideas.
The Bruno Kessler Center in Information and Communication Technology (FBK-ICT Irst Center) focuses on high quality research with impact to market and society. FBK- ICT Irst (formerly simply called IRST) is an internationally renowned center established in 1986 for conducting research on Artificial Intelligence (AI). It was the first center in Italy fully dedicated to AI and it is still the Italian research center most recognized internationally in the field of AI. FBK ICT has extended its competences to data science, security and safety, dependable systems, formal methods and software engineering.
The High Impact Initiative – Digital Industry (HII-DI) develops theories, techniques, algorithms and tools that support industries and SMEs in the digital transformation, with specific attention for actors operating in industrial production with challenging problems from the technological or process standpoint and actors with tailored/on-demand production. HII-DI works with them offering scientific quality, experience in technology transfer, interdisciplinarity and critical mass. This allows them to deploy solutions on a larger scale, pursuing wild goals –high-risk/high-gain scenario.
HII- DI main application domains are: Railways, Avionics, Space, Oil and Gas, Energy production, Biomedical, Agritec, Manufacturing.
HII- DI is structured Research Units; i.e.:
- ES – Embedded Systems works on correctness, shortening production time and reducing costs, and implementing complicated control functionalities, carrying out methods and tools for the design, development and verification of Embedded Systems, and by applying them in practically relevant settings.
- 3DOM - 3D Optical Metrology works on accurate measurements and reality-based 3D reconstruction problems
- SE – Software Engineering supports the improvement of the quality of the software, by providing developers with innovative techniques, tools and methodologies that increase their effectiveness and efficiency in two key areas of software development: Requirements engineering and Code analysis and testing.
- TeV - Technologies of Vision conducts research in Computer Vision, Image Analysis and Visual Pattern Recognition
- HLT - Machine Translation works on n machine translation technology that supports both human translators and multilingual communication applications.
- OpenIoT - Open Platforms and Enabling Technologies for the Internet of Things focuses on gaining leading knowledge on supporting and rapidly building innovative, standard-based and interoperable IoT-based solution.
The Kore system is made up of about 1.436 cores (based on Intel Xeon processors) and 439TB of distributed storage, interconnected both among and within computers by a high speed network ranging from 1Gbit/s to 10Gbit/s with some branches running on InfiniBand, a low latency network featuring very high throughput. In the last years some node for GPGPU calculation are been installed: at the moment The Kore system has 6 nodes with two Nvidia Tesla K80 cards, 1 node with 4 Nvidia Tesla V100 cards and 1 node with 8 Nvidia GTX1080TI cards to perform parallel programming on the CUDA platform.
This is in a renovation phase, redefining technologies and structure.
The Line offers an approach of research driven by technology transfer, following these phases: (i) direct research efforts on themes of practical relevance; (ii) develop support tools at high TRL; (iii) transfer the results in applicative setting; (iv) identify new themes of practical relevance.
Offered services are of design, prototyping, testing, validation and development of innovative solutions with specific attention for the fields of: Optical Metrology; Technologies of Vision; Machine Translation; Open IoT; Embedded Systems and Software Engineering.