The Cybernetics Lab IMA & IfU is an interdisciplinary institute consortium at the RWTH Aachen University assigned to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. It is composed of the Institute of Information Management in Mechanical Engineering (IMA) and the Associated Institute for Management Cybernetics e.V. (IfU).
The aim of the participating institutes is to implement and professionalise inter- and transdisciplinary methods in research and teaching, and to conduct research on current scientific problems.
The Cybernetics Lab was headed by Prof. Sabina Jeschke until November 2011 and is currenty lead by the deputy heads Prof. Ingrid Isenhardt and Dr. Frank Hees. Managing directors are Prof. Dr. Tobias Meisen (IMA - Information Management), Dr. Max Haberstroh (IMA - Knowledge Management) and Dr. René Vossen (IfU). The former head of the Cybernetics Lab Prof. Klaus Henning supports the as senior advisor.
Research topics include distributed artificial intelligence, robotics and automation, traffic & mobility, virtual worlds, innovation & future research, internet of things, human-machine-interaction, knowledge management and agile development.
The Cybernetics Lab IMA/ZLW & IfU currently employs an interdisciplinary staff of 200 and technical equipment as well as a broad method spectrum in teaching and organization development, including:
- A set of industrial robots (like six axe ABB, Robotino, Pepper, NAO) and equipment
- Computer cluster for computational analytics and machine learning tasks
- Virtual Theatre and VR technology
We provide a broad range of services for Industry, including solutions for Industry 4.0, production process organisation and integration of production into Smart Cities. Furthermore, our services include custom-made solutions for organisation development in the areas of innovation, knowledge management and communication processes, as well as training of academic personnel.
- Scientific and technological evaluation
- Market Studies / Initial Design / Simulation
- Component and process development and testing
- Prototype / demonstrator development and testing
- Custom made solutions for organization development and consulting
- School Labs and
- seminars and individual coaching for academic personnel