Chemin des Infirmieres
44602 Saint Nazaire
AlgoSolis is a public facility that develops and optimizes new technologies for microalgal biomass production and biorefining.
AlgoSolis has been designed to address R&D issues related to the setting of a mass-scale, controlled and efficient exploitation of microalgae. AlgoSolis incorporates the latest innovations in the field, thanks to the work of GEPEA laboratory (www.gepea.fr) and its partners. This includes several breakthrough processes like intensified photobioreactors and wet-biomass biorefining, strains of industrial interest, optimizes procedures for culture media recycling and microalgae culture on industrial effluent.
AlgoSolis is belonging to the University of Nantes and CNRS (UMS CNRS). AlgoSolis has integrated the EERA Bioenergy consortium (http://eera-bioenergy.eu/), as a facility enabling R&D effort at pre-industrial scale for biofuel production from microalgae.
- 1500m² of biomass production area (350m² in thermoregulated greenhouse) with over 20 independent lines of cultivation
- Downstream processing R&D unit (240m²)
- Rooms for microalgae pre-culture and laboratory for analysis (100m²)
AlgoSolis main features
- 20 lines of biomass production equipped with various PBR technologies including newly patented technologies (CNRS-GEPEA)
- Fully equipped downstream processing R&D unit (Evodos harvesting processes, membrane filtration, processes for cell disruption and metabolites extraction/fractioning)
- All production-downstream processing units can be used individually or be connected to set a complete exploitation process
- Global supervision and automation of the complete facility
- Possibility of medium recycling implantation
AlgoSolis offers a complete infrastructure including culture and analysis rooms, biomass production areas (thermo-regulated greenhouse, outdoor area), downstream processing unit for algal biomass harvesting and biorefining. The infrastructure of AlgoSolis allows the individual development of units to validate and optimize their performance, or the study their integration into an overall process from the production of biomass to the extraction of molecules of interest.
AlgoSolis enables (1) investigations in representative conditions of industrial applications of microalgae (outdoor production, large-scale, waste treatments) and (2) integration of technological bricks defining an industrial exploitation of microalgae. AlgoSolis integrates state-of-the-art and breakthrough technologies for microalgae culture and for algo-refinery. This includes several breakthrough processes like intensified photobioreactors and wet-biomass biorefining, strains of industrial interest, optimizes procedures for culture media recycling and microalgae culture on industrial effluent.