VITO partners with industry to increase process efficiency and sustainability, and to evaluate the potential of alternative non-fossil resources in new value chains.
VITO’s industrial innovation targets the design of novel process concepts as well as improvement of existing ones. Core technology domains are:
- Separation: membrane technology, extraction, electroseparation
- Conversion: (electro)chemistry, (bio)catalysis
- Integrated separation and conversion for process intensification.
VITO operates as an independent and neutral partner, at the interface between industry, academia and authorities and provides:
- A multi-disciplinary international team of high level experts
- A wide range of infrastructure & equipment
- Fast & agile solutions
- Access to a broad network (expertise & funding).
- Bio-Based Industries Consortium (BIC – www.biconsortium.eu)
- PPP SPIRE - Sustainable Process Industry through Resource and Energy Efficiency (www.spire2030.eu)
- BioInnovation Growth mega-Cluster (BIG-Cluster - http://www.bigc-initiative.eu)
- European Algae Biomass Association (www.eaba-association.org)
- European Membrane Society (www.emsoc.eu)
- BIORIZON (www.biorizon.eu)
National networks (regional for Flanders):
- Catalisti (catalisti.be)
- FlandersBio (flandersbio.be)
Networks in other regions:
- CLIB2021 (Germany)
- IBB (Germany)
- DECHEMA (Germany)
- Dutch Membrane Society (Netherlands)
- Analytical characterization of biomass and processes
- Biomass pretreatment and fractionation
- (Gas) Fermentation
- Green chemistry
- (Bio)Process intensification
- Downstream processing
- Resource recovery
Technologies available at lab- and/or pilot scale include:
- Low and high pressure membrane filtration
- Organophilic and hydrophilic pervaporation
- Membrane distillation
- (Membrane-based) Capacitive deionization
- (Membrane-based) (reactive) Extraction
- Supercritical extraction
- Research from lab to pilot scale: conceptual design, process development and optimization, (integrated) process design, prototyping and testing, support up to full scale implementation
- Techno-economic assessment of concepts and technologies
- State-of-the-art infrastructure including facilities to work in a wide range of chemical conditions, and/or according to GMP regulations, as well as facilities to test your (GMO) organism
- Objective advice, no strings with specific technology provider.
We have a multi-disciplinary team and advanced chemical analysis capabilities.
We guarantee strict non-disclosure.