Calle Saulo Torón, 4
35017 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Las Palmas
The University Institute of Tourism and Sustainable Economic Development (TIDES) is a research institute that aims to develop outstanding tourism research, generating and circulating scientific knowledge, and integrating itself into international tourism networks of excellence. In addition, it provides education, training and raises awareness to improve the development of tourism. Finally, it applies the knowledge generated to promote the improvement of economic, social and environmental tourism development in tourist destinations.
TIDES, as the institute responsible for research in tourism at the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC), has contributed to the fact that it occupies a fourth place as a research centre for scientific productivity in tourism in Europe, second worldwide, shared with other institutions, in scientific productivity in marketing and management of destinations, fourth worldwide in scientific productivity in research on image and brand, and first in Latin America in scientific productivity in hospitality. Likewise, the data of the prestigious ranking of Shanghai (ARWU), confirm the outstanding role of the ULPGC, occupying first position in the European Union in research on Hospitality & Tourism Management and placing it among the 23 best centres in the world in the field of Tourism.
Two main innovation services are provided by this centre:
1. A climate service, materialised in an online platform entitled ¨Regional Exchange Information System-REIS¨. REIS platform aims to assist policy makers and practitioners in the design of tailored climate change adaptation strategies.
The platform offers two main services:
-An experts panel composed by a multidisciplinary group of scientists and policy makers with great experience in the analysis of climate change impacts for the context of islands. The panel provides assistance and advisory in support downscaled climate change forecasts (regions, islands) and the subsequent socio-economic impacts on sectoral activities through a well personalized networking area.
- The Adaptation Support Tool for Islands is a practical guidance to understand Climate Change impacts for the context of European Islands and Outermost Regions. It provides specific knowledge in regard to physical impacts, non-market and socio-economic consequences of climate change for the 12 EU islands case studies. Alternative viable adaptation pathways that can be implemented in these islands are also proposed n the tool, which are framed by the geographic, economic and social context of each island analysed. It works as a compass where we choose three coordinates following this order: 1.Archipelago/Island, 2. Sector and 3. Hazard.
2. A Digital lab for analyzing emotions and social behaviour applying neuromarketing techniques. This service employs Electric Methods to Measure the Activity in the Brain (eye tracking, biological responses, EEG, virtual and augmented reality..) to better underestand social behaviour. It can be employed in a wide range of analyses to support the improvement of the well-being of tourists, business, the environment and the society.
It includes an EMOFOODLab to understand the influence of gastronomy on tourists' emotions, on their experience at the destination, and in the post-trip phase. The centre, in addition to monitoring these aspects, also designs products and experiences around gastronomy and the use of this as a vehicle to enhance the identity of destinations, as well as to better integrate them into the value chain. Nevertheless the application can be extended to other sectoral activities such as shoppping and commerce, public and health services, museums, etc.
The digital lab at TIDES is equipped with all the neuromarketing equipment and the administrative staff of the technological platform REIS.
The equipment is composed by:
- Eye Tracking Heatmap
- EEG, Face Reader and coding Software
- Virtual reality consumables
- Technical staff
- 8 PC, 2 hight tech screens, 2 printers
Both services, the REIS platform and the EMOTUR Lab are hosted by the The University Institute of Tourism and Sustainable Economic Development (TIDES) at the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC). They can be found in the official website of the Tides Institute in a specific section entitled¨Services to the society¨
The services can be used for several activites at industry, training and policy levels:
- To promote, organise and plan research objectives in the different fields of tourism, economics, sustainable development and their applications.
- To carry out research activities and to collaborate with other public or private entities.
- To establish permanent links with other institutions and research centres that are active in the field.
- To transfer and exchange research results and information with other entities, both public and private.
- To establish relations with the private and public sector in order to support decision making, projects and development.
- To promote the training and improvement of specialised personnel for teaching and research in these fields.
- To serve as a point of attraction for national and foreign scientists of recognised prestige in subjects related to tourism and sustainable development, providing the appropriate technological means to complete work in progress, initiate new projects and plan joint projects with institutions in other countries and with other university Institutes, Centres and Departments.
Tourism Marketing and Promotion
Tourism and Sustainable Development
Demand Analysis and Experiment Design
Economic Analysis of Tourism and Transport
Quality of Service and Multi-Criteria Analysis
New Trends in Management applied to the Commercial and Logistics Sector
New Trends in Management Applied to the Tourism Sector
Human Resources Management
Public Administration and Policy
IS_LAB. The island as a Laboratory of the Anthropocene
Revaluation of Waste Material
Electric Methods to measure the activity in the brain
Physiological Methods to Measure Responses:
- Eye-Tracking (wearable and screen based) and virtual reality eye tracking.
- Perspiration Rate Galvanic Skin Response (GSR)
- Respiration Rate
- Facial Muscles Movements (face coding)
- Hearts Rate and Blood Pressure