Via Fortunato Zeni 8
38068 Rovereto TN
ProM Facility is a technological infrastructure open to collaborations with the business world, research and training, to develop, produce, research and experiment innovative and more efficient products, able to combine traditional mechanics with the most advanced and sophisticated prototyping systems physical and virtual, testing and pre-qualification. The result of the collaboration between the Autonomous Province of Trento, Trentino Sviluppo, the Bruno Kessler Foundation, the University of Trento and Confindustria Trento, it provides the companies in the mechatronics chain with an integrated platform for the prototyping and qualification of mechatronic systems and subsystems. Thanks to the commitment of European regional ERDF funds, the Facility now has innovative machinery for the prototyping (mechanical, electronic and IT) of complete mechatronic systems, for a total value of over 6 million euros, including 3D printing metal and polymer, the laser cutting of pipes and plates, as well as advanced metrology systems such as x-ray tomography and high speed digital scanners of image reconstruction.
ProM Facility main equipments:
- 3 x Metal 3D printers with various metal powders including AISI316L stainless steel, AlSi10Mg aluminium, Ti6Al4V titanium and Inconel 718 and 625
- 1 x CNC Hybrid 3D machine (lathe and a 5-axis milling machine integrated with an additive cast metal powder deposition system)
- 1 x stereolithographic 3D printer to print prototype components by solidifying polymeric resins with UV light
- 1 x 3D polymeric printer up to 280x280x350 mm volume, starting from various polymer powders including PA11, PA12, PA12+GB.
- 1 x combined tube/sheet metal laser cutting machine 5kW fiber laser, suitable for most metals used in the mechanical industry
- 1 x 4-axis wire EDM machine
- 1 x polymer laser cutting machine
- 1 x tomographic X-ray machine to perform high-resolution geometric and dimensional analysis on a wide range of metallic and non-metallic materials, to analyze residual porosity and internal continuity of 3D molded parts.
- 2 x 3D scanners, one with laser blade projection suitable for large objects and one with structured light with color image capture, to acquire physical models up to 16 cubic metres in volume, with an accuracy of up to 0.064 millimetres, also reconstructing the surface texture in colour. This equipment, used in parallel with dedicated software, is used in the field of reverse engineering of already existing components.
ProM Facility is also equipped with a mechanical test bench, in which tensile strength, fatigue, compression, multi-axial loads can be tested. The high pressure 300bar hydraulic system is installed on a floor with 2 15KN and 2 50KN actuators. The climatic chamber and the shaker, allow to carry out vibration tests together with thermal tests between -40° and +200° C, recreating different environmental conditions to which the object will be subjected, according to the normative indications.
To complete the metrology, we have a touch probe CMM machine for 3-dimensional dimensional inspection and an optical comparator with automatic image analysis suitable for geometric and dimensional inspection of mainly two-dimensional components.
ProM manages all phases of firmware and control software prototyping, from real-time testing using software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop techniques to computer security testing and the development of Industry 4.0 solutions. ProM also develops native cloud web applications using modern cloud-enabling technologies such as container and K8s. In addition, a Deep Learning Lab (DLL), which supports, through its own expertise and supercomputing systems, the development of artificial intelligence systems for industrial applications.
ProM Facility has a trivalent function, divided into service, research and training. The service offer includes the advanced development and prototyping service of mechanical components and micro-electronic sensors (MEMS, micro electro-mechanical Systems). Upon request, the Facility can also manage the production of small series ("workshop" service) thanks to its technological equipment. On the research side, ProM Facility supports research projects funded (subcontract) in Horizon 2020, provincial (LP6) and other funding areas (regional and national). It offers company technical staff in the mechanical and mechatronic sector a refresher course, specialist "hands-on" training on machines in a dynamic and cutting-edge context and support in the field of prototyping, 3D printing and sensors. ProM Facility offers students and PhD students excellent research and training courses, research partners the possibility of creating synergy by putting transversal skills in the system and bringing the realization of prototypes in the final phase of complex projects to a degree of applicability closer to the market