Avenue Jean Capelle 7
INSA Lyon, Bâtiment Blaise Pascal
The NANOLYON platform is dedicated to Micro and Nanotechnolgoy. It includes 600m² of clean room and 700m² of technological rooms. It is operated by a team of engineers and technicians, corresponding to 16.5 full time employees. It is part of the Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology, a Joint Research Unit of CNRS, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, INSA Lyon, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 and CPE Lyon.
The NANOLYON platform is a member of the Renatech+ network, is labialized as a national proximity facility since 2002. It includes high performance, flexible and easily accessible technological equipments. The platform allows to develop the Micro and Nanotechnologies by combining the know-how of communities in Engineering and with existing strengths in Chemistry, Biology, Medicine, Materials Science and Physics. It is the privileged tool which allows to offer to the actors of the fundamental and applied researches a complete set of tools and specific expertise allowing the emergence of original
The NANOLYON platform welcomes 160 active users, for a total of 11500 hours per year.
The platform is equipped with a wide range of generic and specific equipments, dedicated to Micro and Nanotechnologies. Fabrication tools are dedicated to generation and fabrication of materials, including thin layers and nanostructures, components and devices, sensors, microsystems.
This is completed with design and characterization tools. These technological resources are dedicated to applications in the field of electronics,biotechnologies and photonics.
• Surface chemistry and wafer cleaning
• Porosification by electrochemical anodization
• UV Photolithography, maskless UV laser lithography, ebeam writing, UV holography
• Epitaxial growth (SSMBE, LPE, VPE)
• Evaporators (thermal, e-beam)
• ALD, PECVD-ECR, multi-electrodes PECVD, LPCVD, reactive sputtering, electrolytic depositions
• Wet etching, RIE, ICP, electrochemistry
• Microimprint, thermoforming, micro-drilling
• Photomasker/synthetisers of DNA chips
• Optical microscopy, SEM, AFM, ellipsometry, XPS, DXRD, profilmetry, spatial fluorescence…
• Thermal annealing (furnaces, RTA, heat diffusion)
• Grinding, die bonder, splitter, wire saw
The plaform is suitable for:
• Standard processing: Semiconductor (III-V, Silicon), material deposition, metallic
contacts, lithography, etching, annealing...
• Specific and advanced processing (scientific collaboration)
• GaInAlAsP III-V
• Si / SiC : photovoltaics, microtechnologies, nanoporous, epitaxial oxides
• Biochips/labs on chip, biomedical
The platform is a ‘hand-on” facility which develops internal and external projects (exogenous projects) with
technological challenges within the framework of the scientific collaborations including university and/or
industrial partnerships. The platform hosts external partners, including industrials and academics, that use the facilities for their own developments.
« EASY ACCESS and FLEXIBILITY » : The platform currently develops technological research conducted
in INL (Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology) and supports external projects (academic and industrial R&D community).
« SPECIFIC EXPERTISE » : The technological developments are mainly focusing from standard to
very dedicated process.
Education training offer (400 h/year for projects and practical training – around 160 students)
Visiting users are specifically trained by the technical staff and/or the direct supervisor in the
use of equipment and processes
Our technological offer : to set up classical (litho-deposition-etching) or more specific developments (innovative technological processing) of assembly of discreet devices with size of the substrates of some cm ² up to 100 mm (certain equipments which can accept up to 200 mm).
The projects are classified in two categories, following the importance of the technological development which they require to implement :
1. The Projects without technological development : For "one shot" operation
- Do not require specific technological development on behalf of the facility
- Correspond to a punctual supply, without iteration in the time
- Performed by the staff of the platform
2. The Projects with technological development, For "recurrent operation"
These are the projects requiring on behalf of the facilty a specific technological development, including a first step of feasability and numerous technological stages, and involving an expertise on behalf of the researchers. Performed by visiting user that has been specifically trained or in close collaboration with platform staff or researchers.
A pricing for the services is organized and is of use as base to an estimated quotation on request