C/ de la Innovació, 2
08225 Terrassa (Barcelona)
LEITAT is a non-profit organization, specialised in material, device and production technologies. LEITAT develops R&D activities with deep knowledge and experience in technologic transfers to several industrial sectors (chemistry & material, transport, health, packaging, energy, textile, detergency, environment, cosmetic, pharmacy, building, food, sport, maritime and security). Main activities are divided in 5 main department with the following knowledge divisions:
- Applied Chemistry and Materials:
- Advanced Materials including Nanomaterials, Micro & nanoencapsulation, Hollow and flat membranes, Coatings and special paintings (anticorrosives, fire retardants, oleophobics), Electronic inks printing and Physical & chemical characterization.
- Home & Personal Care including Formulations of detergent and cosmetic products, Efficacy tests and Claims support, EU Ecolabel, Market research and Consumer tests.
- Material Chemistry including Biopolymers, Organic composites, Inorganic composites, Polymeric composites and Surfactants, oils and fats.
- Tribology & Metal Processing including Metal pre-treatment, Lubricity studies, Corrosion tests, Stability and foaming test and Industrial cleaning.
- Circular Economy:
- Biotechnology including Bioprocess design, Biocatalysis & enzymes, Microbiome engineering and Microbiological control.
- Environmental Technologies including Water reuse, Waste valorization, Air treatment, Nature based solutions, Bio-based technology, Membrane technology & product recovery and Oxidative technology.
- Human & Environmental Safety including Emerging contaminants, Exposure assessment, Hazard assessment (human tox & ecotox) and Human & environmental risk assessment.
- Novel Bioresources including By-products valorization, Insects rearing and novel sources, Biorefinery and Functional ingredients.
- Sustainability including Sustainable production & circular business models, LCA & circularity assessment and Social science dimension.
- Energy & Engineering:
- Additive Manufacturing / 3D Printing including Design, optimization and simulation for advanced industrial applications, AM3DP process parameters for novel materials and Strategies & systems for post-processing.
- Energy conversion & Storage including Batteries & supercapacitors, Solar energy, Bioelectrochemical systems, Electroactive devices, Performance & reliability evaluation, Energy management and Applied photonics & electrochemistry.
- Internet of things including Sensors & actuators, Electronics & connectivity, Diagnostic devices and Artificial intelligence.
- Integration & Technology Adoption including Technology benchmarking, Product design & engineering, Multiphysical simulation & modelling, Validation, experimenting & testing and Industrialization support.
- Robotics & Automation including Manipulation, 2D/3D vision, navigation, Novel robotic processes & functionalities, Collaborative & mobile robotics and Artificial Intelligence.
- Health & Biomedicine:
- Antibodies engineering including Monoclonals and policlonals, Biosimilars, Humanization and Phage display libraries of VHH, scFv, Fab.
- Biosensors including Biomarkers analysis, Theragnostics and monitorization and Medical devices.
- Food & Health including API research and Efficacy and safety tests (in vitro & in vivo).
- Metabolomics & Bioanalytics including Adapted bioanalytic developments, Clinical metabolomics, Multiomics and Bioinformatics.
- Nervous System including Neurodegeneration and neuronal regeneration, Neuropathic pain and Behavior studies.
- Oncology & Angiogenesis including Target discovery, Drug efficacy, Preclinical drug development and Biomarker identification.
- Regenerative Medicine including In vitro and in vivo preclinical studies, Studies in big and small animals, Advanced technologies for clinical imaging and Cell and pharmacological therapy.
- Skin Health & Cosmetics including In vitro BPL safety studies, Efficacy studies and claim support and Preclinical models in dermatology.
- Advanced Technology Services:
- Fire Behaviour including Flame propagation, Convective, radiant and contact heat, Molten metal splashes, Persistence and characteristics of the fluids flame and Combustibility resistance of the materials inside of vehicle.
- Materials Aging including Radiation aging, Solar simulation, Climate aging, Natural climatic aging, Corrosion and Heat shock.
- Materials certification including Individual protective equipment, Sports protective equipment and Construction materials.
- Microscopy & Colorimetry including Optical and electronical microscopy, Photomacrography, Defect and degradation studies and Appearance/Color/ Aspect.
- Physical & Mechanical Properties including Mechanical resistance, Abrasion, weathering and scratch tests, Impact resistance, Hardness, Rheometry/ Viscosity, Solid and liquid density, Air permeability and liquid absorption, Electrostatic charges and Color fastness and wash behaviour.
The equipment available at LEITAT covers broad range of applications and techniques, as broad as the ‘Key Enabling Technologies’ described by the European Commission. LEITAT owns suitable facilities with small, medium and pilot plant equipments that allow to interact with any technology along the TRL scale from 3 to 9.
Infrastructures and equipement related to technology area under focus, including (non exhaustive list): microbiology lab with pilot scale fat crystallizer and pilot scale homogenizer, in vitro technologies, Facilities and equipments for in vitro and in vivo toxicological studies of nanomaterials and nanocomposites, analytical chemistry equipments, consumer goog testing facilities (including humidity, temperature, UV aging, stability testing, hard surface testing), nanomaterials characterisation, advanced polymer equipments (extruer, mould injection, compounder, polymerization reactor and related characterisation equipments), surface treatment technologies, textile technologies & equipments, smart systems (including rapid prototyping, digital printing, electronic design), new production processes (CAD/CAE/CAM softwares and Reverse Engineering technologies), environmental testing.
LEITAT can provide a full range of services the different industrial sectors going from material design, testing and processing, to the development of prototypes. In particular, the several testing departments at LEITAT offer services for the determination of more than 800 physical and chemical parameters (including ISO Certification and Normalization).
- Scientific & technological
- Study / initial design / Simulation
- Proof of concept / Lab testing of basic experimental set-up/ Characterisation
- Component/ breadboard / process development & testing
- Prototyping (integrated system/ sub-system) development & testing
- Pilot line / demonstration line / preseries
- Product validation / certification