Baldiri Reixac, 10-12
08028 Barcelona B
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is a research centre whose purpose is to carry out interdisciplinary research at the highest international quality level which, by creating knowledge, helps to improve health and quality of life and generate wealth.
IBEC conducts excellent interdisciplinary research at the frontiers of engineering and life sciences in order to generate new knowledge by putting together fields like nanomedicine, biophysics, biotechnology, tissue engineering and the applications of health information technology.
The knowledge that exists in the IBEC research groups is structured in three broad avenues of knowledge: nanomedicine, cellular and tissue engineering and ICT for health. These are placed at the service of science and society to progress in three major application areas, namely:
Bioengineering for future medicine
Bioengineering for regenerative therapies
Bioengineering for active ageing
IBEC actively pursues the establishment of research projects with industry partners who share its commitment to bringing high-quality health research and technologies to market and the patient.
These partnerships take full advantage of the IBEC groups’ interdisciplinary expertise in various fields, as well as our state-of-the-art equipment and core facilities.
Our industry partners complement our abilities with their strong market expertise and presence and by pinpointing specific industrial needs that can be addressed by our scientific and technological support. These partnerships play a central role in achieving IBEC’s mission of knowledge and technology transfer to the biomedical sector, and ensure that our research is guided by and addresses concrete problems and real-world requirements.
At an institutional level, in its role as the country’s leading research institute in bioengineering and nanomedicine, IBEC manages the Spanish Platform on Nanomedicine, is a core partner of EIT Health, the Knowledge and Innovation Community (KIC) in healthy living and active ageing and several national and international initiatives as the European Technology Platform on Nanomedicine, Health Tech Cluster or Red ITEMAS, among others.
IBEC structure consists of R&D core and a Nanotechnology Service Platform. IBEC’s Nanotechnology Platform is an accessible and versatile research facility featuring 150m2 of class 10,000 cleanroom space and laboratories offering state-of-the-art equipment for the fabrication and characterization of micro- and nanodevices and structures.IBEC R&D core: Establishing a partnership with IBEC gives companies access to top-class scientists and research know-how, in three breakthrough avenues of knowledge: nanomedicine, cellular and tissue engineering and ICT for health.
- Scientific & technological
- Study / initial design / Simulation
- Proof of concept / Lab testing of basic experimental set-up/ Characterisation
- Component/ breadboard / process development & testing
- Prototyping (integrated system/ sub-system) development & testing
- Pilot line / demonstration line / preseries
- Product validation / certification
- Bioprinting of 3D structures using biomaterials and cellladen hydrogels.
- Microfluidic chips design and fabrication using photolithographic processes, including Cr photomasks fabrication.
- Microelectrode fabrication using a thin layer deposition technique.
- Chemical characterization of materials using ToF-SIMS: mass spectra of surfaces; chemical mapping of elements and molecular distribution and depth profile, implantation profiles and interface analysis.
- SEM morphological and topographical characterization.
- Wettability characterization of surfaces using a contact angle measurement technique.