The Institut für Mikroelektronik Stuttgart (IMS CHIPS) carries out industrial-oriented research in silicon technology, customized circuits (ASICs), nanopatterning and image sensor technology as well as being involved in professional development. It is a public foundation and partner to the Innovationsallianz Baden-Württemberg.
Among the research and development done at the Institute for Microelectronics Stuttgart is the field of nano-electrical and nano-optical systems. We are in a top international market position in the development and production of advanced photo masks and diffractive optical components. This is done in a state of the art development and production environment with cutting edge structuring and measuring equipment available.
The Institute for Microelectronics Stuttgart offers comprehensive support to small- and medium-scale companies realizing innovations with microelectronic technology.
- Fast and cost-efficient development of ASICs and sensor chips in tailor-made quantities
- Development consultation, innovation assessment, expert opinion
- Information and training for decision makers and developers
- Partner to public funding development projects
- Active networking on a local as well as a national and international basis
The institute offers a multitude of possibilities for the design of microchips.
The microchip circuit design is done with standard design tools on high performance workstations. Our experienced continuously trained design team implements customer requests focused and accurately.
Having alliances with small- and medium-scale companies we offer a whole variety of cooperative possibilities, such as the strict implementation of delivered netlists, a walk-in-service that enables customers to work inhouse supported by us as well as complete development by our design team according to requirement specifications.
The institute has a class 10 – 100 1200 m2 clean room available to manufacture microelectronic circuit and fabricate advanced masks using e beam lithography.
The Institute for Microelectronics Stuttgart houses the entire equipment necessary for qualified production of microchips all under one roof. Without unnecessary distances and with well-established processes in place we are able to implement development contracts in a fast and reliable manner.
Following the microchip production the chips are either packaged inhouse (ceramics and specialized packaging) or on-site at one of our long standing partners worldwide (standard plastics packaging).
Utilizing modern testing equipment in compliance with stringent criteria silicon wafers with up to 1,000 integrated chips on each wafer as well as packaged chips are tested to ensure that only flawless chips emerge from the production cycle.
Besides the standard ISO9001 certification the Institute for Microelectronics Stuttgart is also certified as microchip manufacturer according to international quality standards (QC 001002-3). These certificates are reviewed and renewed by an independent expert once a year.
Integrated circuits & systems
IMS offers both, access to various foundry technologies and to the IMS 0.5 µm / 0.8 µm CMOS process that provides a powerful Gate Array technology applicable for a fully digital and Mixed Signal Application with analog functions.
An outstanding feature is the fast and cost-efficient production of ASICs in small quantities of less than 100 chips as well as the production in series.
In addition to the development and technological consultancy we also provide the consolidated qualified manufacture and testing of ASICs. By cooperating with partners from the semiconductor industry the IMS can guarantee timely delivery and fast production of bulk orders. In cases where your application requires the development using other types of technology we provide this in cooperation with external semiconductor manufacturers.
Basic data of our Mixed Signal Gate Array technology:
- analog and digital signal processing
- low development costs
- short delivery times
- also available in small quantities
IMS ASICs can be purchased in small and medium quantities and long-term without an obligation to purchase a minimum amount. Processing and manufacture are certified according international standards (ISO 9001 and QC 001002-3).
The IMS offers everything from one source:
- fast and cost effective manufacture of individual wafers and small series lots using e-beam or mask technology for typical lot sizes of 1,000 to 10,000 ASICs per purchase order
- assembly line for ceramics and specialized frames
- external packaging service for chip mounting in plastic frames
- testing lab for wafers and component using standardized or customer-specific testing methods
- flexible delivery as wafers, individual chips (Bare Die) or as component in a frame
- component qualification according to MIL-STD in in-house quality assurance lab und with qualified partners
- European second source for supply reliability and higher required production output
CMOS image sensor technology
IMS CHIPS develops and produces customer-specific CMOS image sensors and cameras for the highest demands in the following application areas:
- Industrial image processing: highly dynamic HDRC® image sensors for automation and inspection tasks during extreme lighting conditions and for safety applications in safety and monitoring equipment
- Medical technology: miniaturized image sensors for endoscopes and for the development of a retina implant for the vision impaired
- Aerospace: radiation resistant sensor design and production technology for space applications
- Automotive: image sensors for automotive environments in traffic applications
Throughout our many years of experience with various customer contracts and research programs we have acquired a comprehensive expertise in the areas of optics, packaging, circuit design, image processing and system integration for the innovative development of new image sensor technology – starting at the individual specification to the actual series delivery in accordance with the ISO 9001:2000 quality standard. You are welcome to discuss your requirements with us.
The M(E)MS technology division is divided into the following areas of activity: Large-scale M(EMS) and Si photonics. These two primary activities develop and manufacture micro mechanic Si components, optoelectronic micro systems for beam deflection and active/passive photonic Si and Si3N4 components. By combining M(E)MS, CMOS and nano structuring processes new types of prototypes and systems can be realized in a fast and cost-efficient manner.
The division carries out application-oriented research, development and small series manufacture for publicly-funded projects and predominately bilateral industrial projects.
The manufacture of photonic and micro electro mechanic components, from an individual sample to a small series, is displayed in this division. This requires all core competences at Institut für Mikroelektronik Stuttgart, such as designing, technological processing, packaging and testing in order to develop and manufacture complex micro systems.
Diffractive optical elements
DOE fabricated using a 9” (230 mm x 230 mm) substrate
Fresnel lenses with 10 mm diameter
DOEs are fabricated using standard photomask quartz blanks according to the SEMI specifications 6025 or 9035. The design can be structured with tight tolerances in terms of linewidth and etch depth across the entire plate. Multi-tier patterning, for example for the approximation of analog quartz profiles, can be realized, as well. Finally, technologies are available to cut down the substrates and give them the final form factor according to customer’s requirements.
NIL Templates with capabilities as follows:
State of the art Gaussian beam and variable shape beam exposure tools
- Templates made using quartz photomask blanks, quartz wafer, silicon wafer or SOI wafer
- Post processing technologies are available for the realization of any required form factor
- Multi-tier patterning with high overlay accuracy
- Ni replicates can be made from quartz or silicon masters
- Final qualification by inline-SEM
- Professional cleaning
- Antisticking coating: FDTS (perfluorodecyltrichlorosilane)
NIL Template specifications
Typical specifications of our templates, valid for an imprint field of 25 mm x 25 mm
We offer the manufacturing of masters with the required profile quality for a high yield replication process. The master can be made of silicon or quartz, the resolution limit is 60nm dense lines and the pattern size is only limited by the substrate size (150mm wafer or 9 inch quartz plate).
Master with a complex grating structured in a 9 inch quartz plate
Features of different sizes in a 800nm thick top silicon layer of a SOI wafer
500nm pillars, 1.5µm height on a 15µm silicon pedestal