100, N. Plastira str, Voutes
70013 Heraklion, Crete
The Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH), established in 1983, is one of the largest research centers in Greece with well organized facilities, highly qualified personnel and a reputation as a top-level research foundation worldwide. FORTH reports to the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of the Hellenic Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs. The Foundation, with headquarters in Heraklion, includes six Research Institutes in different parts of the country:
- Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (IESL)
- Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB)
- Institute of Computer Science (ICS)
- Institute of Applied and Computational Mathematics (IACM)
- Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS)
- The Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICE-HT)
Also, in Ioannina operates the Department of Biomedical Research under the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB).
FORTH's activities are complemented by Crete University Press (CUP), the Skinakas Observatory, the Science and Technology Park of Crete (STEP-C) and PRAXI Network.
The research and technological directions of FORTH focus on areas of major scientific, social, and economic interest, such as: Microelectronics, Lasers, Materials, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Biotechnology, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics, Robotics, Telecommunications, Computational Mathematics, Chemical Engineering, Human and Social Sciences, Cultural Studies.
Research infrastructure complying with the activities of the home Institutions.
Business oriented and exploitation tools operated through STEP-C (Science and Technology Park of Crete) and PRAXI created to provide a bridge between Research and Industry in Greece.
Adopting to the rapidly evolving needs of the region of Crete/ Greece, the research advancements at FORTH and the local Academic and Research Institutions, FORTH, through STEP-C offers, in addition to incubating facilities and services to start up companies with new and emerging technologies, specialized professional services that are difficult to find under one roof and geared to assisting and guiding companies to:
- Unleash their potential through innovation
- Assess and secure their intellectual capital
- Support better their business interests and needs
- Transfer their technological advancements into the manufacturing of innovative products and services