Via Martiri di Monte Sole 4
40128 Bologna BO
CROSS-TEC laboratory of ENEA, situated in Bologna, in the northern Italy, is one of the TECNOPOLO ENEA laboratories dedicated to the industry and addresses five main areas corresponding to 5 units:
1) technologies for interoperability and supporting technologies and standards with a special focus on adoption in networks of enterprises (mainly manufacturing SMEs in textile-clothing, tiles, agrofood and mechanical industry) and smart cities (X-Lab unit).
2) CAD/CAM technologies, with a special focus on CAD 3D modelling, rapid prototyping (additive manufacturing) and reverse engineering, with the aim of raising the technological level and competitiveness of enterprises both from the point of view of product development and production; the target is on design based industry (fashion, accessories, jewelry) and historical heritages (museums, archives) (PROTO-Lab unit)
3) methodologies and technologies for demonstrative projects for urban solutions, with the purpose to structure, experiment and consolidate cross and single framework approaches for demonstrative projects development on urban solutions. Solutions are defined as structured combination of interconnected technologies, business model and citizens active participation. (jUST-Lab unit)
4) high performance computing technologies, especially in the field of deterministic and stochastic simulation of complex systems, collaboration platforms in research environments for data and code sharing, scientific data 3D representation and remote 3D. (HPC-Lab unit)
5) Innovative fuels, characterisation of energetic components and IT applications for energy (Energy-lab, being constitued).
The laboratory has a large experience in leading international projects, developing specific researches and transfer research results to industries: SPES (Central Europe, coordinator), ARTISAN (FP7, coordinator), SESEC and SET (Intelligent Energy, partner), ELECTRA (FP7, partner), VISAGE (COSME, partner), NIMBLE (FOF11, partner), Texwin (FP7, partner), Ricerca di Sistema Elettrico, are some of the most recent ones.
The CROSS-TEC laboratory represents, in ENEA, the contact point between the whole Energetic Technologies Department and the activities related with industrial districts and SMEs networks of the Emilia-Romagna region while being active also in the whole Italy.
The fields of application of these projects are different (from development and application of instruments for creative 3D designing and energy efficiency improvement in textile industry to SME networks and interoperability for energy grids, up to biogas and hydrogen based fuels), the common element is addressing the industrial districts of manufacturing SMEs on a local and sectorial basis by providing them methodologies and IT tools to improve competitiveness and sustainability.
The wide range of experiences guarantees the capacity of CROSS to afford the different aspects of project coordination and to manage and positively solve possible issues that can arise in the activities.
- Virtualised servers managing an Interoperability Test Bed system plus a number of tools thought to support standard adoption and inter-company interoperability
- 3D data acquisition systems for small highly precise scale (Tele mode with scanning resolution on X,Y,Z= 0.16, 016, 0.04 mm on area X,Y,Z = 111 x 84 x 40 mm) as well as large scale (buildings, archaeological areas,..) systems
- 3D printing systems with different technologies (3DP, MJM, DOD)
- high performance computing facility (HPC ENEAGRID/CRESCO, indicatively 150TFlops)
- polymeric membrane technology (PEM) components for hydrogen production (laboratory scale)
All the units of CROSS-TEC carry on industrial research and technology transfer activities though:
- collaborative projects on specific objectives within the frame of regional, national or European programs in partnership with other research institutions;
- commissioned activities: industrial research and technology transfer projects carried out to fulfill special requirement by the customer
More specifically the performed activities are
- training on methodologies, technologies or standard specification
- coaching to the adoption of new technologies (in this case a project is managed jointly with the personnel of the commissioning company); for example feasibility studies for specific productive/design processes for 3D design technologies or 3D printing
- 3D prototypes
- 3D mechanical component tolerance checking
- Interoperability testing of software solutions for specific use profiles for data exchange standard
- software prototypes development
- collaborative research projects
- High Performance Computing support