Rond-point de l’échangeur - Les Levées
Axel’One is the French collaborative innovation platform in the Chemistry and Environment sector created in 2011 and dedicated to smart processes and innovative materials. Located in Lyon, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region. Axel’One is an independent association (French law 1901, private and public partnership) whose main missions are to provide shared facilities, tools and services for collaborative research and development projects. In 2020, Axel’One hosts around 20 SMEs and provides its services to 30 collaborative projects representing more than 250 people located on the platform ( 4.9 M€ turn over).
The platform offers access to 40 M€ shared tools from basic research to pre-industrial stage (from TRL 3 to 6) in the field of catalysis, smart processes, on-line analysis, digital solutions and advanced materials. Spread over 3 different sites (9000 m²), its activities support industrial companies from the chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical sectors, but also with other industrial sectors such as textile & composite, recycling, water treatment and energy.
Axel’One has an experience on three H2020 projects on catalysts up-scaling using its specific pilot line unit and, for one of them, as a work package leader.
Axel’one is member of the French chemistry and environment cluster (Axelera), textile cluster (Techtera) and plastics and composite cluster (Plastipolis). Axel’One is also referenced at EPPN (European Pilot Plant Network).
The technologies developed on Axel'One are based on 3 main strategic areas: Smart Process Advanced Materials and Catalysis. For each of these axes, Axel’One offers pilot lines operating in industrial conditions and expertise accessible to all innovation projects. Some of these tools are unique in France or even at a European level.
Smart Process technology pilot lines and tools :
- Online Industrial Analysis and process monitoring (Liquid & gas experimentation benches, online separative techniques, online spectral techniques, physical and physico-chemical sensors, online rheology, instrumented corrosion bench)
- Digital solutions and simulation (Chemometrics, data processing and fusion, advanced process control , mechanical numerical simulation CFD)
Solids and Industrial catalysis pilot lines (from 10 g to 50 kg):
- Synthesis Line (ligands synthesis, mineral synthesis, grafting)
- Shaping Line ( spray dryer, single screw extrusion, reactive extrusion, pelleting);
- Thermal Treatment Line (activation, calcination)
- Catalytic test units ( medium throughput catalytic test units )
Synthesis and transformation of advanced materials pilot lines (from 10 g to 50 kg) :
- Polymer synthesis (Synthesis by polycondensation, reactive extrusion, extrusion, injection molding, compression, coating on soft supports, 3D printing)
- Characterization of materials (Mechanical characterization, composition analysis and chemical structure, Physico-Chemical characterization)
- Material modeling (Behavioral Simulation)
Axel'One offers 2 types of services : R&D services and hosting
R&D services : The platform works as an innovation hub offering R&D services through a large pool of scale-up pilot lines that are accessible to all members. It provides turnkey R&D services adapted to the needs of each project (access to shared tools, operators, expertise…). Axel’One does not claim intellectual property and is accredited for French research tax credit.
Projects and SMEs hosting : Axel’One provides spaces adapted to R&D collaborative projects (offices, laboratories, technological halls) as well as daily support services (HSE, logistics, maintenance, implementation of labs and pilots) in complete confidentiality.